maysw

Blast. Textiles. Art. Travel. Tribes. Textiles. Blast

Monday, August 8, 2011

Vorticism


Upon a recent visit to the Tate Britain, London, I was very drawn to a form of art known as VORTICISM - a masterpiece in itself. Although short-lived, this British movement of the 20th century (1914-1918) modern art which developed from Cubism, has had a neat impact on myself.




















As stated above, I was drawn. World War I was the victim of its brief life expectancy - although unpreventable, I enjoy the fact that it was short-lived giving it mysterious depth, delicacy and making it more valuable and intangible.


As quoted on the Vorticist's website, the movement is 'something that hasn't yet been defined'. What a charming quote..so intriguing as I feel this epitomises me!


So, the main artists of this three-ish year reign were Wyndham Lewis, Roger Fry and Ezra Pound; who coined the name of 'Vorticism'. The movement only managed to achieve one exhibition at the time of its flourish (well, two now, with one being at the Tate).

Amongst many of the other paintings and sculptures I've mainly been captivated by the few laid out on this page for their colour, intricacy and contrasting logic!? (note: the piece to my right is brilliant!)


My previous post illustrates the front cover of the Vorticist's literary magazine 'BLAST' of which only two copies were produced. An interesting quote that I fully agree with was found in one of the BLAST magazines, read:
"Education (art education and general education) tends to destroy the creative instinct. Therefore it is in time when education has been non-existent that art chiefly flourishes"

It's random, colourful, courageous, quirky, but mounted with some angled logic. And I like it. Very much!


Tate Britain - 'The Vorticists: Manifesto for a Modern World'

1 comment:

Helina said...

Thanks for the insight into Vorticism! Interesting WW1 art movement. I like the images you have selected. And that charming quote seems to have been written for you! Keep up the good blog msw xxxx